Saturday, October 30, 2010

Un Chien Andalou

Michael George
10/30/2010
Un Chien Andalou
Total Running Time: 00:16:00
Director: Luis Bunel
Language: (silent)
Awards: This better not have won any...


If not the most "WTF?!" short film of all time...

    Ok, I know that film can sometimes be an expression of art, but...this just really had no point. I'll give it props for being made well for 1929, but that is as far as it will go and is the only favorable thing I will mention. This was a surrealist film that catored to the avant-garde movement as well as Freudian theories. While researching Un Chien Andalou for this blog, I read that both the lead actors killed themselves after the film was created. I don't doubt it, nor do I blame them after being in this.

     In 1974 Bunuel told the Oxford University Press: "Nothing, in the film, symbolizes anything. The only method of investigation of the symbols would be, perhaps, psychoanalysis." Now, don't get me wrong, I can have a sick sense of humor or a twisted mind at times, but I don't think I would create something like this.

     I'll close the blog with the legacy of the "eyeball cutting scene" and stills from the film. Then I'll never think about this ever again. I know it was shown for weird Halloween purposes, and I guess the shock value was achieved because the film was just creepy and confusing to watch.


#10 in "The 25 Most Shocking Moments in Movie History" (Premiere)
#65 in "The 100 Best Films of World Cinema" (Empire) ...How?


No comments:

Post a Comment